Saturday, November 14, 2009

Wildhorse Basin Headwalls


I've been spending too much time looking at photos, topo maps, and geologic maps of the Pioneer mountains. I put this image together to identify several possible ridge routes up the north faces of Hyndman and Old Hyndman Peaks. I know Dean Lords has spent some time climbing these peaks in winter. I also know the north side of Hyndman peak has been climbed by at least two parties. I am curious if anyone reading this knows more about the climbing history of these peaks and or this basin. You can answer here or contact me off-blog at (matt@mattlphoto.com).

The photo was taken from what I am calling Arrowhead Arete, the west facing 1000' ridge climbing out of Arrowhead Lake. It is a fabulous class 3 to 4 route that we did in a 7 mile loop up Wildhorse Cr., up the Arrowhead arete and down onto "Tilly Lake" and out the Left Fork of Wildhorse Creek.

-Matt-

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Matt! It's great to get you on board here with all your exploration and photo skills! I don't have any climbing history info for you other than the route you and I climbed on Mustang Peak (Broken Arrow). I do have a renewed interest in alpine adventures in our backyard range, the Pioneers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt -

    This is one of my favorite area's in the Pio's! While my focus there has been wintery mixed routes on the north faces of Hyndman and Old Hyndman, i've only done one rock route. I'm happy to provide you some info beyond what can find in the AAJ on these routes if you're interested.

    The rock route we did was what you guys called Broken Arrow. We followed a rough discription of the route given to us by Mike Howard of Idaho Falls who climbed this route sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. A stellar route in a sublime position! I think Travis and i climbed this in 2002 or 2003.

    Feel free to get in touch with me anytime, i'm happy to share what i know. Marc has my contact info if you don't have it already.

    Dean Lords

    ReplyDelete